Now's the Time

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Let THE NICER-LOOKING GUY have a chance!

My name is Champ, but I also have a nickname – “The Big Ox”. The nickname is often used when I bulldoze through obstacles in my path. There was a time when we all lived in Rialto when the weeds were very tall. My little brother (emphasis on little) had to hop over the weeds, whereas I just trudged through them. Although I’m trapped in a big body, I’m really just a lap guy at heart. One of my favorite hobbies is to wait until Mommy comes on the patio after a work out and is trying to stretch… I push my head into her shoulder until she pets me OR I try to climb into her lap! Make room for me! =)

I’m not much for car rides, particularly with my bad hips. The truck is too tall and the little car is too small. And I do not like to be lifted into the vehicles! Once I'm inside, I often find that I can’t turn around. I’d prefer to have room, please!

Unlike my brother, I’m a little slower in pace (age does that to folks!). Even still, I’m always up for a good walk, more than willing to play with Daddy (he presses down on my nose and I bark as loud as I can – great game!) and I’m always willing to get up for food! You could say FOOD is one of my biggest passions in life.... Once in a while, I find little treasures on my walks like a bouncing ball and I am so delighted! But I'm a bargainer! What yummy item are you going to exchange for it?

I also like things to be neat and orderly and I'm great at redecorating! When I get annoyed that my bed is in one corner of the patio & I want it in another, or when I’m empty on my food or water, I throw things around a little. It keeps things exciting and best of all, vents frustration! A while ago, I was redecorating and after I had thing arranged the way I wanted them, I noticed that my bowl was still empty. Mommy said she looked out the window and saw me with my paw in my bowl, facing the house and barking. 'Hello? Is anyone in there? Please? I'm hungry!' But these are mild temper-tantrums and I’m over it pretty quickly.

My favorite past-time is “chillin’”. I sit on my patio and watch the world go by. I’m not saddened by it, really, I’m just not as young as I used to be. Sometimes kids come by and pet me, which makes me really happy! I love to watch the birds... I also like things to be quiet (no sirens for me either, thank you!). Mommy understands my aversion to noise and has often commented on my annoyance over little dogs that “yell” at me when I walk by. It just hurts my feelings. =(

My little brother (emphasis still on little!) has pointed out that he likes to pick fights… I suppose I'm a little spirited on this point! Yes, I'm capable of being mean. But, I’m definitely not interested in sharing my food, my peeps or even my room with that little pip-squeak! If he even glances at my food, or my peeps, he’s asking for it!

With that on the table, I suppose it's odd that I would say that I'll never understand why when some people see me coming, they move to the other side of the street or ignore me altogether. I am a lover, really, and it makes me very sad that they don't want to be friends! Come pet me. Talk to me. Play with me! Mommy thinks it's funny that even big contractors are afraid of me!

Anyway, that’s me, Champ. If you’re ever in the neighborhood, come on by! I’d love to shake your hand and be your friend!

2 Comments:

  • Hello, Champ! Nice to meet you. I promise I won't be afraid of you. Maybe we could take a walk together. Do you have a pedometer?

    By Blogger Willow, At 10:08 PM  

  • Champ's so glad he's made a new friend! He said to tell you that his hip is really the gauge on how far he's able to travel. He can go for about 3 miles before he has a seat and there really isn't much you can do to motivate a 90+ lbs. dog to do at that point. He just looks cute! =)

    Thanks for checking in Willow! =)

    By Blogger Life is a Marathon, At 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home